This communication is to update practitioners and stakeholders on the Board’s consideration of the application of the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology to have its Certificate IV in Optical Dispensing qualification approved as a prescribed qualification for the purposes or registering as a dispensing optician in New Zealand.
The Board is pleased to announce that it has approved the Certificate IV in Optical Dispensing qualification offered by the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology as a qualification acceptable for registration as a dispensing optician in New Zealand. This approval is, however, subject to the following requirements being satisfied:
- Applicants with this qualification must have been conferred on or after 31 May 2009;
- Applicant’s will have completed the ‘Perform Edge and Fit’ (HLT0PD402A) module as part of the qualification; and
- Applicant’s will submit a completed and signed record of training book showing evidence of the completion of a minimum of 800 hours’ practical experience, as specified in the record of training book, within 2 years of qualification or a period otherwise approved by the Board.
In June 2011, practitioners and stakeholders will recall being advised that the Board had deferred its decision on the approval of this qualification pending receipt of further information, including:
- A report back on the Board Assessor’s observation of a practical block;
- Completion of Part 2 of the qualification review, which comprised a comparative review of the qualification against the other qualifications currently accepted for the dispensing optician scope of practice; and
- Additional information from RMIT in respect of several questions put to it by the Board following the Board’s consultation with practitioners and stakeholders.
It took quite some time for these activities to be completed and for the information to be received. Following these additional enquiries, the Board was satisfied and is confident that, with the inclusion of the few conditional requirements mentioned above, the qualification is comparable to the two other qualifications the Board currently accepts for registration in the dispensing optician scope of practice and that practitioners who register with the Board with this qualification will be competent to practise in the dispensing optician scope of practice.
Notice of the above qualification’s approval (including conditional requirements) will be published in the New Zealand Gazette next week and a copy of the notice will be available on the Board’s website. Once the notice has been published in the Gazette, applicants with this qualification will be eligible to apply for registration with the Board.
The Board wishes to place on record it’s thanks to all those who provided submissions as part of the Board consultation process.
Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians Board
Level 3 Freemason House
195-201 Willis Street
PO Box 10-140
Ph 04 474 0705
Fax 04 474 0709