Date: Tue 12/01/2021 - Thu 12/01/2023
Optometrist Credits: 1 Clinical Diagnostic Credit
Dispensing Optician Credits: 1 point.
Event Type(s): Online
Number: 09 929 3273
Dry eye determinants can evolve with age, presenting with different symptoms and affecting quality of life in unique ways. This CPD article follows the hypothetical journey of ‘Debbie’ through different decades of her life. In the process, author Rebecca Verster assesses various clinical scenarios that Debbie encounters, and discusses the pathophysiology and basic treatment considerations associated with each presentation. Debbie’s hypothetical journey highlights the importance for eye care practitioners to acquire a good history that encompasses systemic risk factors, medications and ocular history.
- Recognise intrinsic and extrinsic causes of dry eye,
- Appreciate the role that systemic medications have on the ocular surface,
- Understand the difference between contact lens discomfort and contact lens related dry eye, and a stepwise approach to managing symptoms,
- Understand dry eye as a result of refractive surgery, and
- Identify basic management strategies for Sjogren’s related dry eye disease.