Date: Thu 01/08/2019 - Sat 31/10/2020
Optometrist Credits: 0.50 General Credits
Event Type(s): Online
Number: +61 2 8336 8616
Patients often admit to purchasing the contact lens cleaning solution that is the cheapest, or to poor contact lens cleaning habits altogether. These practises can lead to poor ocular hygiene and cascade to discomfort and, in the worst case scenario, infection.
This article explores multipurpose disinfecting solutions and multipurpose solutions currently available. It explains why formulations are not all the same when it comes to cleaning and disinfecting contact lenses, and shelf-life.
The article also highlights the importance of continuous education to ensure patients adhere to recommended lens care regimens.
1. Understand the standards that solutions need to meet,
2. Recognise the difference between multi-purpose disinfecting solutions (MPDS) and multi-purpose solutions (MPS),
3. Understand contact lens (CL) preservative uptake can reduce a solution’s disinfection efficacy and induce corneal staining,
4. Recognise the differences between Opti-Free PureMoist and other MPS,
5. Be aware of modifiable patient compliance related behaviours associated with CL related microbial keratitis, and
6. Understand the importance of educating on CL care and solutions to encourage patient adherence.