Congratulations on your decision to become a qualified Dispensing Optician!
This page contains some useful information on preparing your registration application and also the links for the Record of Training/Log Book for your respective qualification.
Deciding to Register
For those holding a recognised qualification, registering as a Dispensing Optician with the Board is a choice.
Some of the reasons why people choose to register include:
- The title of ‘Dispensing Optician’ identifies you as a Registered Health Care Provider as opposed to a retail assistant position.
- Being registered is an advantage for career advancement.
- Registration provides reassurance to the public of your qualifications and that you have to adhere to your scope of practice/NZ law to ensure public safety.
- The Board’s recertification requirements keep you up-to-date with clinical/technical advancements.
- You are able to join the Association of Dispensing Opticians of New Zealand (ADONZ) and enjoy the benefits of interacting with colleagues, CPD and conferences, and sharing information/technology with other Associations.
If you choose NOT to Register, you must be careful not to use a title remotely close to ‘Dispensing Optician’ or you risk prosecution by the Ministry of Health.
If you choose TO Register, you must use the title ‘Dispensing Optician’ and no other title for as long as you remain registered.
In NZ, only the title ‘Dispensing Optician’ is protected by law, not the tasks performed.
* For more information on the legalities of title use, please click here to read the Board’s pamphlet on ‘Registration as a Dispensing Optician in NZ’.
To register with the Board you will need to complete the following:
- Hold a prescribed qualification.
- Submit a registration application form & supporting documentation, including a completed Record of Training/Log Book.
- Pay the registration fee.
Some issues to be aware of when completing your paperwork:
- Check that you have answered ALL questions on the application form.
- Ensure that supporting documentation are originals or are certified true copies.
- Your photo MUST be endorsed on the back by one of your referees.
- Current email contact (we will contact you if there are issues with your application).
Be aware of timeframes:
- Police clearances take approximately 4-6 weeks to come through.
- You should allow at least 10 working days for your registration/APC applications to be processed before you need to start work, or if already working with an alternate title, ensure you submit both registration & APC applications together.
Record of Training/Log Books
Click on the button below for the qualification you are working towards to download the right Record of Training/Log Book for completion.
When you are ready to apply for registration, go to the ‘Register as a Dispensing Optician’ page of the website for the application form. Click here to be taken to this page.