Congratulations on your decision to become an Optometrist!
This page contains some useful information on preparing your registration application.
Deciding to Register
For those wishing to practise as an Optometrist in New Zealand, registering with the Board is a legal requirement.
The Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003 (HPCA Act) allows for specified activities to be restricted to registered health practitioners, in order to protect members of the public from the risk of serious or permanent harm. One of these such activities is the prescribing of an ophthalmic appliance, optical appliance or ophthalmic medical device intended for remedial or cosmetic purposes or for the correction of a defect of sight.
This means that it is illegal for anyone other than a health practitioner regulated under the HPCA Act to perform this activity unless performed in an emergency situation.
Under the HPCA Act, the activity of practitioners is determined by the scopes of practice within which they work. A registered health practitioner may do anything in his or her scope of practice – including an activity that is otherwise restricted, if that scope of practice covers or clearly includes that activity.
Click here for information on the Optometrist Scope of Practice.
To register with the Board you will need to complete the following:
- Hold a prescribed qualification.
- Submit a registration application form & supporting documentation.
- Pay the registration fee.
Some issues to be aware of when completing your paperwork:
- Check that you have answered ALL questions on the application form.
- Ensure that supporting documentation are originals or are certified true copies.
- Your photo MUST be endorsed on the back by one of your referees.
- Current email contact (we will contact you if there are issues with your application).
Be aware of timeframes:
- Police clearances take approximately 4-6 weeks to come through.
- You should allow at least 10 working days for your registration/APC applications to be processed before you need to start work.
When you are ready to apply for registration, go to the ‘Register as an Optometrist’ page of the website for the application form. Click here to be taken to this page.